Being still extremely reluctant to publish any sort of in-depth personal retrospective, as was noted a few days ago, I am nevertheless thrilled to present instead the list of my very own "Best of" nominations for the just-finished year 2012.
Please be informed that an item's inclusion into any of the categories below does not constitute any kind of quality-based recommendation on my part, but merely an indication of personal significance, oftentimes of solely sentimental nature (although the two Ginza-operated restaurants were excellent). Neither did I limit myself only to items that first saw the light of day in 2012.
Hopefully, all items can be easily found on the internet, so I do not furnish the list with hyperlinks (but may do so later).
- Music of the year: rather not say.
- Fiction of the year: "Perdido Street Station", "Railsea" and certain other books by China Miéville.
- Non-fiction of the year: "The Great War and Modern Memory" and "Wartime" by Paul Fussell; "Emperor of All Maladies" by Siddhartha Mukherjee.
- Book not read this year: "Cloud Atlas" by David Mitchell.
- Online music broadcasting of the year: Comfort Conspiracy (thanks, pashky); Radio Utuku.
- Podcast of the year: Manager Tools.
- Audio lectures of the year: Sum and Substance.
- Live shows of the year: (1) Low live at Southbank Centre, London, April 3rd; (2) Do Make Say Think live at Electric Ballroom, London, November 27th.
- Live shows not seen this year: GY!BE European tour in November.
- Poetry of the year: John Donne, Philip Larkin, Edmund Blunden.
- Deceased this year: Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Вячеслав Глазычев, churkan, Борис Стругацкий, Valerie Eliot.
- Cities of the year: Moscow, London, Kiev.
- Cities not visited this year: Odessa, New York, San Francisco.
- People not seen this year: hotgiraffe, mama_ari (well, technically we saw each other on May 25th).
- Pilgrimage of the year: Canterbury.
- London Tube/DLR stations of the year: Monument, Island Gardens, London Bridge.
- St. Petersburg Metro stations of the year: Адмиралтейская, Чкаловская, Площадь Ленина.
- Moscow Metro stations of the year: Библиотека им. Ленина, Проспект Вернадского, Спортивная.
- Colleagues of the year: listed in my annual report; special thanks to Andrey I. and Konstantin K.
- Clients of the year: listed in my annual report; especially wish to mention (1) Hatfield HQ'ed large online retail business; and (2) London based alternative marketplace startup (will be big in 2-3 years, but our work is unlikely to be publicized).
- St. Petersburg streets of the year: Малая Морская, проспект Луначарского.
- Moscow streets of the year: Большая Якиманка, Мясницкая, Академика Пилюгина.
- Kiev streets of the year: Велика Житомирська, Ярославiв Вал, Юркiвська, Пейзажна алея.
- London streets of the year: Gracechurch Street, Preston's Road, Waterloo Road.
- Holiday destination of the year: Feodosia.
- Conditional probability of the year: 3%
- Airline most traveled this year: Aerosvit.
- Airline most liked this year: Aeroflot.
- Airports of the year: LGW, KBP.
- Train of the year: 030AA Moscow – St. Petersburg.
- Restaurants of the year: Рибай, Казанская 3 (St. Petersburg); Бричмула, Комендантский пр. 13-1 (St. Petersburg); Коза-Дереза, Артема 52а (Kiev); Jamie's Italian, 2 Churchill Place, Canary Wharf (London); Cinnamon Kitchen, 9 Devonshire Square (London).
- Bars & pubs of the year: Eat and Talk, Моховая 5 (Moscow); Диван, Бессарабська площа 2 (Kiev); The Golden Fleece, 8 Queen Street (London).
- Food of the year: Christmas cake by glote.
- Drink of the year: Aardbeg (not sure which kind exactly was in that particular flask pirson brought).
Thank you for reading this far and may your own "Best of 2013" list be a hundred times more impressive. Happy New Year!